Newport Bridge (officially called the Tees Bridge) was opened in 1934 as a “lifting bridge” which lifted horizontally between the two towers supported by huge weights on wire ropes at each end of the span.
Teesside iron and steel works, Dorman Long, fabricated the steel for the bridge.
Originally 12 men were employed to man the bridge around the clock and during the 1940s and 50s an average of 800 vessels per year would pass beneath it.
The horizontal span no longer raises, and has been sealed at road level since 1990.
The newly-installed LED floodlighting, funded by Stockton Borough Council, was switched on at the end of November 2017.
The effect is captured after sunset above an unusually tranquil River Tees at high tide at the beginning of December 2017.
Location: Newport, Middlesbrough, UK.